January 16, 2017
The beta of the new version of Get It Done is out now!
What is a beta and why?
The old version of Get It Done was developed way back in 2007 when the first iPhone came out. We have since made thousands of improvements and have 100,000+ users using it.
After 10 years, we needed to start fresh so that we can continue making the app better for the next 10+ years.
The new version is a completely new app. We took what we learned from our other app Manage It and created the new Get It Done app. This brings a lot of new functionality to Get It Done:
- Real-time updates are pushed instantly to all of your devices
- Google login
- Attach Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Evernote, and Box files
- Comments on tasks
- Email tasks into the app using BCC
- Inline preview of files
- OSX app
- iPhone/iPad/Android notifications
- New free plan that syncs and backs up all of your devices
- Group plans to allow you to add up to 35 people to the app for one low monthly price
- Duplicating tasks
- And much more…
But there is one small problem. In order for us to add all these new features, the old version of the app would be incompatible with the new version.
So now we will have 2 separate apps:
- Get It Done Classic (the old version)
- Get It Done v5 (the new version)
We will continue supporting the old version of the app for the foreseeable future but we will only be making improvements to the new version of the app.
If you are an old Get It Done user then you will need to create an account with the new app. You will have the option to start fresh and only enter what you need in the in new app or you can import your tasks and projects from the old Get It Done app.
For most people the transition should be seamless. The app looks and acts almost the same as the old version.
But there are some issues to be aware of when moving to the new version:
- * All your ‘People’ also need to move to the new version
- Different mobile apps
- Recurring/scheduled tasks need to be set up again
- Calendar subscriptions will be a new link
- Emailing tasks to the app will be a new email address
- New billing plans
And there are some things not 100% done yet in the beta but should be done soon:
- Documentation: We have not yet completed the new support pages and documentation yet. Even though the app should act mostly the same, you may see some incorrect support pages.
- Printing Task lists
- Drag/Drop on a focus: Drag and drop a task on to the Inbox/Today/etc is not done yet but you can still move the task by clicking the “focus” button on the task.
- Emailing tasks to a tag or project: You can add tasks with your email but we do not yet support the syntax to add to a particular tag or project.
- English only: The app is only in English for now but we plan on releasing all the other languages shortly after launch.
- Export to spreadsheet is not working yet
Frequently asked questions
How do I start using the new app?
- Just go to https://app4.getitdoneapp.com and create a new account.
How do I use the app on an iPhone or iPad?
- Go to https://app4.getitdoneapp.com in Safari on your iPhone or iPad. (I know this is hard, but after you learn this shortcut you’ll never have to type in this URL again.).
- At the bottom of the screen you’ll see an icon of an arrow coming out of a square, tap this button.
- You should see a few options. Tap the button “Add to Home Screen”.
- You’ll be asked to choose a name for the icon. Enter “Get It Done New” or whatever name you would like to use.
- When you’re done it will show up on your home screen and you’ll never have to type in the URL ever again. Just click the new icon to use the app.
What happens if I find something that is broken?
- Email is at email@example.com or use the “Contact Us” link in the app.
What happens to all my tasks in the old app?
- Nothing, all your tasks are still there, these are 2 completely different apps. Anything you do in the new app will only affect the new app, anything you do in the old app will only affect the old app.
Can I still use the old version of the app?
- Yes, the old app will still work exactly as it does today, nothing will change there. You should try to move to the new version of the app as soon as you can but we are not rushing you to do so.
How do I import my tasks from the old app?
- To import your tasks and projects from the old app, click the “Export” button at the bottom of the app, then click “Import from old Get It Done”
I paid for the old app, do I have to purchase the new app too?
- We will not charge you for both apps, if you purchase the new app just let us know you have a subscription with the old app and we will prorate your purchase. Because of our billing software, this can only be done after you purchase the new app.