The wait is over, today we released version 3.0 of Get It Done. We have taken considerable time and effort to rewrite the app for speed of use and speed of development. What does this means for you? You will see many updates over the next few months both on in the online app and the mobile apps. Today's update brings you new features such as "Areas of Responsibility" and the long overdue "New Projects". Both features will hopefully make the app easier to use and make you more productive. We have also built all new iPhone/iPad/Android apps from the ground up so that we can come out with updates across all devices quickly and consistently.
Areas of Responsibility
The first big thing you will notice is the addition of "Areas of Responsibility". This a a way to separate the different areas of your life like 'home', 'work', and 'hobby'. You can switch between the areas by clicking on the area menu.
Smart Groups and Projects
We move everyone's old 'Projects' to something we call 'Smart Groups'. Same thing as projects but we just changed the name and icon. 'Projects' in it's new version will be not tied to tags and this paves the way for many more improvements we would like to make to projects. We also gave people an easy way to convert their old projects to the new type if they so wish (from the edit smart groups dialog) .
NOTE: You can convert a Smart Group into a Project from the edit Smart Groups dialog
Another change you will notice is that if you click on the project icon it will pop up a list of projects you can add this task to, it is broken up by areas then projects:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Because of incompatibilities with the old app and the new app you will not be able to upgrade your mobile app through the app store, you will have to download the NEW app through the store on your device!
You will know you have the latest version by the new icon (iPhone/iPad only), Android users will have to look to see if the app looks like the screen shots below:
There are 3 ways you can Get It Done on your mobile device:
- Access the mobile version through the iPhone/iPad/Android's web browser: http://getitdoneapp.com/m
- Dedicated Android app. Scan the barcode below or search for Get It Done in the Android Market:
- Dedicated iPhone/iPad app: Search for "Get It Done" or click here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-it-done-tasks/id412823147?mt=8&ls=1 to download the app
The mobile apps have been re-written from the ground up so that we can support a wider range of phones and tablets. In the upcoming year there are a lot of new and exciting devices coming out and we wanted to be sure you can use Get It Done on whatever device you choose. Another big reason for the new apps is that we can now come out with updates much faster across all devices. We have apps in the app store and you can also access the mobile version in your phone's web browser at http://getitdoneapp.com/m.
Check out some of the screen shots, Android and iPhone apps now have the same exact interface so that you can switch phone and not learn a new program.
Here are a few things we will be working on in the next few weeks:
- We will be taking all we learned from making fast mobile apps and bringing it to the web version. This means you should see many speed improvements on the web app in the coming weeks.
- We will also be improving the mobile apps to bring the functionality up to par with the web app.
- Fixing bugs, we are not perfect so there wil be bugs in our app, we are now in a position where we can iterate much faster so bugs will get fixed much faster.
Hope you enjoy the new apps, we are hard at work with a bunch of new updates across the board so stay tuned!